I am bouncing and bursting with excitement as I type this. Not the usual I'm-so-excited-about-this-party-I'm-going-to kinda excitement. It's more of a rich sense of anticipation, like watching a good movie and smiling before the end reveals itself because you just know. 2012 holds so much potential for and promise of beautiful things waiting to happen and there's such a certainty in my heart that I'm about to first implode then explode with joy.
In this moment, as my fingers dance across the keyboard following some cosmic choreography, this is the last day of 2012 and the last day in forever. In this moment, I imagine life to be a long, winding railroad cutting through breathtaking landscape and snaking through dark caves. In this moment, I alight at a platform perched on a cliff, where I have the astounding view of the past, the present and the future. The platform is today, the last day I'll know, until the next day comes.
So, the last day. We won! And damn, it feels good! It's been a long time coming. Fast backward a couple of months. I was stuck in a rut, sick of commitments and tired of trying. I didn't want to play anymore. Somehow I stayed. Somehow I played. Today, I remembered why I love this game and why I love this team. I am good at this. The dive, the speed, the hands. I've got it. Today, we showed it.
40 minutes and a victory later, I see a text from G, wishing me luck and reminding about Uncle G's birthday dinner. Boots in hand, dress unkempt and bag over my shoulder, I ran barefooted to the lobby into the cab that I called. In a rush. Headrush. Heady from all the love and attention from people who are quite suddenly, family.
"How's your eye?" "How's your eye?" "How's your eye?"
In the year 2012, I had a serious eye infection. I saw four different doctors and spent a Sunday evening waiting at the A&E. But I've never seen this love so clearly before. This love is fierce. This love is tender. This love has cradled me through pastoral paradise, brushed past jagged cliffs and brought us into the heart of the stoic mountains that stand majestic. We are in a clam, serene place. It's a good place to be in.
I stand on my tiptoes and cast my eyes further into the days. The rest of 2012 in retrospect: wearing my sparkly prom dress to a wedding dinner, witnessing the exchange of vows as the sun set over the ocean, being an hour early for class on the last first day of school, cannonballing into the sea from the roof of a yacht, partying like a rockstar at my first hen's night.
This moment is over. The whistle has sounded, the conductor beckons. I step towards the train, one foot on the tread, and took one last long look, not quite believing that I've sort of tumbled and cavorted through all of that in the span of 17 days.The whistle sounds again and the wheels chug. Here we go, 2012! I absolutely cannot wait for the rest of the 348 days.
No comments:
Post a Comment