Sunday afternoon, I'm sitting before my window, watching the steam rise from my cup of hot tea and float to the outside world, joining the lazy light dappling in and the light rain falling. The world that I see is seemingly still, but not quite. The curtain of raindrops adds movement and life to the image before my eyes; tiny droplets dancing, fighting, twirling, spinning, and gravitating towards the earth. The sounds of cars and buses and trucks are amplified by the water that gathers on the ground, swishing and swashing, like a makeshift ocean in the middle of this suburban cityscape. The still frame of life ebbs and flows with energy, like the tide being pulled and pushed by the silent strength of the moon.
In this moment, I'm equal parts of utter tranquility and boundless excitement. The afternoon was spent in solitude - I've turned the last page of another book, and I've begun writing the first page of my new story. This is me, sitting here almost motionless, yet putting another stage of life into motion. This is me, abandoning the outside world for a day, and looking inside before taking the next step. This is me, striking balance, and poised for flight.
The rain has ceased to fall, and the skies are slowly dyed a light gold and deep pink by the setting sun. When I breathe I can feel the air that is clean, cool and crisp in my lungs, and I can almost taste the warmth of the golden hues in the sky. I watch the birds take flight and think to myself again - you are always free to fly. In a moment, night will fall, and the moon will reign over the inky skies that are not quite as dark as they should be because of city lights. And then Sunday comes to an end, and the morrow will bring the chaos of Monday. But take flight, young one, you can fly and soar above it all.
Oh sunday afternoon, how good you've been to me.

your words are so insane that it makes me feel so small.
ReplyDeleteits nice to know life has been good to most of us. :)