
Spot the similarity.
Yups, you've got it, it's the skirt! But this is not just any skirt. This is the skirt of many, many stories. It's an ordinary H&M skirt, and the only thing special about it is probably the fact that it's kid's size. Hahaha. It's a great trick to stealing excellent deals especially with your favourite brands! Try it, pretending you're trying for a niece/cousin, and then buy it! HAHA.
Anyway, back to the skirt. It's been my BEST piece of clothing throughout the trip. It's comfortable. It's rather glamorous (however glamorous you can get semi-backpacking). And it's got SO many stories.
I think the first time I wore it was on the long-haul flight from Boston to Glasgow. Now, having not seen the boy for 4 months, I didn't wanna be completely unglam when I step off the plane. Then again, I have to be comfortable right?? 7 hours is a pretty damn long time on the plane! So I wore the skirt with stretchy leggings and spag top, along with a cardigan and scarf. That way, I can sit however I want and be comfy no matter warm or cold. Much later, I realized I wore the EXACT same outfit on the even-longer-haul (7hrs + 5hrs) flight back to Singapore. I've now declared it my official plane outfit.
The next memorable time I wore it was when we took a day trip to Edinburgh. Wanting to look nice in the photos, I wore the skirt with stockings and, again, a spag top. (Spag tops are your MUST-HAVE'S when traveling, I swear. Plus the skirt, of course.) BUT, my idea of Edinburgh didn't include a climb up a pretty steep hill! Not to mention the fact that my pumps were highly unsuitable for the climb, my skirt was highly unsuitable for the wind! So half the time I was flashing the poor Scottish people who were trying to have a nice picnic. Lesson to learn? Always, always wear matching undies!





On the Scottish highlands, terrorizing pinickers.
That wasn't the only time where the wind caught me unaware though. The next time was in Santorini, Greece. I wore the skirt without tights, cos the temperature was just soaring in Santorini. And I picked the skirt because 1.) It's cooling, and 2.) It matches my strawhat and spag top! and 3.) It's pretty awesome for the beach. Now, what I didn't think of was the clifftop walk that we'd be doing in Fira and Oia. THE WIND WAS CRAZY. Well, once again, long-live matching undies, or rather, bikini bottoms this time. I guess if the ang-mohs can prance around in bikinis all over the island, I can show off my bikini every now and then too.
The guy who took this for us was so embarrassed about my flying skirt for me that he offered to take another one for us. Hahaha.
Because this skirt is great for pairing with leggings/stockings, it's also great for visits to churches and temples because I stupidly didn't bring my jeans on the trip. Now, it's only respectful that your shoulders be covered and your skirt/shorts/pants reach your knees. Most of the time, as long as I wore a completely opaque pair of tights (which are almost like long pants actually), it was okay.
Except at the Doumo in Milan. The security guard took one look at my skirt and went uh-uh, too short. But I really, really wanted to see the inside of the Doumo and that's the only reason why I went to Milan! And I even consciously dressed for the occasion! But I guess to him, leggings = stockings = nothing, rather than leggings = pants.
Now, this is the beauty of high-waisted skirt with a stretchable waistline - you can adjust the length however you want! So, I went to a corner and pulled my skirt as low as I could, and viola, it was knee-length and properly acceptable! So yes, I did manage to go into the Doumo in that skirt too.
Leggings? Stockings? Pants?
As much as this was a glam skirt, it also became a comfy, lazy skirt, as did ALL my outfits towards the end of the trip. Haha. So I stopped wearing it high-waisted, just so I could simply throw on a spag top without even bothering with stockings and shoes.
Lazy outfit for a photo trip in Pisa.
Oh, and finally, this skirt also manage to score a story in fashionable London. After a 5min walk from our hostel to the subway, I felt a light tap on my shoulder just as we were entering the station. Slightly startled - because I didn't know anyone else except Glenn in the city, and he was right beside me - I turned around suspiciously. An elegant lady in her mid-thirties looked at me shyly, and whispered "Excuse me, your skirt is tucked into your tights."
I WALKED 5 BLOCKS IN LONDON WITHOUT REALIZING THAT MY SKIRT WAS TUCKED INTO MY TRANSLUCENT TIGHTS. Oh dear Lord. The embarrassment. The appalling embarrassment. WHY do I have to have all the wrong fashion statements made in all the fashion capitals? First it was the girlfriend tights, and now the skirt that's tucked into my tights! Bahhh.
Oh wells, at least I got noticed in one way or another huh. Hahaha.
And will I ever wear that skirt again? Hmm, maybe it deserves to be framed up on my wall more than anything. Just in case there's another windy (or unlucky) day.
No comments:
Post a Comment