Me, enjoying my ice-cream and iPod during my break.
After 20days of "HELLO, WELCOME TO CROCS" and "Yes Mdm, sure, I'll get you a new pair" while rolling my eyes to the heavens, I bid farewell to my retail experience. HAHA. Yeah yeah, I know, you must be rolling your eyes at my short stint, but I quit with a good reason!
I really enjoyed working at Crocs - the people there are a whole load of fun; Working with Sarah was something we've both wanted to do for quite some time; The cute little Ang-Moh kids are lovely to talk to; I get a great deal of insight into people; It's hardly ever boring because the shop is almost always brimming with people Mondays to Sundays; I get free shoes; And I was actually getting pretty good at the whole thing!
BUT. Two weeks into the job, they decided to reshuffle the staff between the Vivocity boutique and the Marina Square boutique. And they were gonna split us up. I don't know what's their deal, but apparently the aim was to split up pairs of close friends. But honestly, we don't talk alot or fool around when we're doing our shifts together. Sarah and I were even told at the interview that we would be working together at Vivocity. Plus, we found out from our nice senior colleagues first, instead of from the Management right away. That pissed me off. Alot.
So the moment the manager told us about the transfer with a big bright smile, we told him "Sorry, if it's that way, then I'm afraid we won't be staying on." He was totally shocked! I guess not that many people decide to quit the moment they are notified with news of a transfer. When he recovered from the shock, he sorta told us it's not a good reason to quit and, but whatever, I just told him we joined with the understanding that Sarah and I would be working together. 3 days later, we handed in our resignation letters (a First in both our lives!) and stopped work a week later.
I'm both happy to have my free days back, but also sad to leave Crocs. It's one job that I really don't mind doing until Uni starts, despite the long hours and lonely breaks. I feel so happy seeing different people and advising them on which pair(s) of shoes to get. I also enjoy trying to get a sense of the person's background from the way he/she shops.
For example, Ang-Mohs hardly ask for a new pair when they decide on which pair to get - their upbringing and culture are obviously different from Asians', being more easy-going and less kiasu. They also value money less. But there are also Ang-Mohs who are a total pain in the butt - they come in with an attitude and zero patience, and they speak to us as if we are stupid. These people, obviously, are racists who think they are superior because of their hair/skin/eye colour.
Then there are the locals - some of whom are very nice and encouraging, others really hard to handle. There are those who come in and take up to an hour to choose a pair of shoes, ask for a new pair, walk around in them, then ask for another new pair because they have already worn the pair and therefore they are no longer new. These people obvioulsy value the 50bucks they are paying So Much. Others come in as if coming for a war - armed with 'defective' shoes which are completely worn out, demanding a new pair. These people, I guess they get a kick out of taking the littlest advantage of pro-customer policies.
So all in all, I really have learnt alot in my short 3weeks at Crocs. I also came home with 3pairs of free shoes. Hee. But that was the last reason for enjoying my job, really! And before I end my post, let me introduce you the two best employees of Crocs - they completely cracked me (and some of the customers) up on my last day!
Best Employee of the Month No. 1 - Nigel the Toot!
Best Employee of the Month No. 2 - Ben the Poot!
Spokespersons for Crocs The Nerd Association!
Post-Script: Yuhan, I used to work one weekend - either Sunday or Saturday, but I've stopped work long ago but had no time to blog about it! Hahaha! :D
No comments:
Post a Comment