Tuesday, April 08, 2008

a rocking evening

a rocking evening

One too many Tuesdays ago, on the 8th of April, I went to watch the "We Will Rock You" Musical with Nicole! Back then, it was still the rainy season and it was absolutely pooring donkeys and lemmings on the day of our musical. It was no fun hiking over to SMU in search of the vague Admin from Plaza Sing to submit Nicole's documents and pay Peiyan's application fees at all, even in our reliable HeatWave heels. And it just didn't help that the office was CLOSED by the time we got there!

We then went over to Raffles Shopping Centre/Citilink for dinner at Asian Kitchen, which I've been wanting to try for quite some time! The food was so-so I guess, not as good as I expected it to be. Don't think I'm going back there anytime soon. Haha.

And then it was off to the Esplanade! I'm so glad they built the two durians, because I simply love attending concerts and musicals there. :D Foyer stall seats are excellent, especially when they come at a one-third student price! :D We sat people-watching for awhile, and spotted Adrian Pang and family, and Bernice Chia and hubsand in the stalls. Quite exciting!

The musical itself was alot of fun too! Nicole and I adooooored the lead actor and his skinny jeans look. There were certain points in time where the plot got abit draggy and I got abit sleepy, but overall it was pretty captivating and refreshing! I liked the way they portrayed the futuristic world with its cyborg-like people, and the repeated flashing of State slogans reminded me uncannily of 1984 and Brave New World. The local references were hilarious, and the jokes on the big-time celebrities like Madonna and Victoria Beckham were very clever.

The crowd was a strange mix of middle-age couples, families and teenagers. And towards the end everyone was joining in the fun of singing along to the ever popular Queen's songs, stomping their feet on the floor and clapping out the beat. This auntie even stood up and swung her shawl above her head to the rhythm of We Are The Champions! Very cool stuff huh.

I really enjoyed the evening, despite both our not being hardcore rock fans or anything. In fact, we didn't get half of the allusions until much later! Like the clever use of the name "Heartbreak Hotel" as a setting instead of a song. So yups, we had a rockin' evening! (:

Nicole and I, taking a photo with the Rock pillar. Hahaha.

My favourite skinny jeans guy!

Well well, just check out where Nicole's hand is. Haha! Totally unintentional!

Rocker chick!

And Nicole too!

No comments:

Post a Comment