Thursday, December 28, 2006

streets of london

streets of london

Sarah and I went exploring Singapore today! We kinda ran out of ideas on where to go hang out, so we decided to check out Arab Street and Haji Lane, the birthplace of many pretty pictures that we've seen on other blogs. And since we've never been there before, we'd thought it'd be fun to spend the afternoon at a different part of Singpore.

Knowing my sense of direction, I dilligently went to look up the place on the online street directory and I even printed out the map! But you see the thing was, I kinda left the map on the printer tray instead of packing it into my bag. Heh.

From Parco Bugis, Arab Street was easy enough to find. It was Haji Lane that killed us. From Arab Streets, we crossed countless roads and alleys, in hopes of finding Haji Lane. When we finally realised maybe we were heading in the wrong direction when the once far away Concourse Building was suddenly looming right in front of us.

So we consulted the shopkeeper, who gave us superb directions which consisted of "A right in front, then a left.", we ended up even further than we first were. Haha. Thank goodness for Sarah's great sense of direction, we managed to trace our steps back to Arab Street. (My job was mainly to hold the umbrella. Haha!) And from there, another shopkeeper pointed down the alley which we took, and viola! We were finally at Haji Lane.

Those of you who are looking for a different sense of fashion, pretty dresses and clutches, Haji Lane is the place to go to! Pay careful attention to the stairways, because they're cosy shops hidden upstairs too. Oh, and there's a cool icecream place called Pluck there. And all you people who make your own accessories, Arab Street has good bargains for beads and chains!

But please don't call me for directions, because if I were to go back tomorrow, I still won't know where Haji Lane is without Sarah. :D

And here's our version of the pretty pictures as previous visitors have all proudly shown off on their blogs. With the rain and our jackets, I've gotten a few comments that the pictures look London-ish! And erm, to friends who have been told I went to London with Sarah for a couple of days, I WAS KIDDING! (:

Streets not like your usual Singapore.

This British-looking place.

Large windows and arched corridors.

Take One of London streets.

Take Two.

Take Thirty-five.

Take Seventy-eight.

Okay we were actually trying to capture the pink and black shopfront in the background. Haha!

My navigation. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment