Wednesday, May 02, 2007

we're in

we're in

OMG WE'RE IN! WE'RE THROUGH TO THE QUARTERS, TOP 6! For all the anxious hearts that were thumping at a horribly fast pace the entire day, for all the nerve-wrecked (but still pretty) faces that couldn't even manage a smile, for all our anticipations and expectations, WE DID IT!

But it wasn't easy. It wasn't easy at all. Right from the start of the game, RJ came on strong, perhaps stronger than we'd expected, and we took longer to settle in our new formation. They scored an early goal. I told myself, okay, that's it. One goal. No more. It was only because they caught us off guard, and it will not happen again. And then half way through the game they scored another one. God, the pressure to hold defence tight. First half ended with us down by 2, and we went back on in the second half with our usual game plan.

Still, we let in an early goal in the first 5 minutes. We knew we couldn't let the goal difference stray wider than 5. Right then and there, I was just choking on my emotions. I was tired and so freaking scared and nervous and I felt like crying and screaming and punching somebody, but still very determined to get it back for us. We were so close. So close to getting it; so close to losing it as well. But I couldn't let it happen. NO, I refuse to throw it all down the drain. I heard everyone cheering for us, I saw all my defenders running and chasing for every ball, I saw how much everybody wanted this. I knew I couldn't ask to be taken out to just breathe for a few moments, not when everybody this fighting this hard. So I decided to just stick in there and play.

Thank goodness the midfield and forwards were bringing the ball to attack so much more in the second half, and the pressure was taken off the the defenders, so that we could breathe easier. But then half way through the second half, this RJ forward took the ball all the way from the 50yard and went past all our defenders. It was one on one with the keeper in the D. I knew I couldn't run back no matter how I sprinted. When I reached the top D, I just stopped and prayed, desperately and fervently. Please God, no. No! AND THEN VITHYA CLOSED DOWN THE SPACE AND CLEARED THE BALL! OMG I LOVE YOU VITS AND IT WAS A DAMN GOOD CLEAR OKAY! (: Like all that wasn't enough for my overworked heart, we had to have a penalty corner against us towards the end, AND THANK GOD BEV SAVED IT ON THE LINE! So proud of all our defenders, so proud! I think it takes so much to keep playing hard even after 3 goals, and to keep the goal line at 3.

The final whistle blew, and I think my poor heart just gave way. Final score: 3 - 0. Towards the end I was just dying and throwing myself at the ball. I was dazed for awhile, and then realised that WE ARE IN THE QUARTERS when Bev started screaming. Relief, happiness, pride - everything came tumbling one after another. I was light-headed and felt like I was floating about. I didn't know where my heart was, but I was just glad it wasn't in my throat anymore.

We cried, and I cried. It feels like my heart has been constricted for 2 whole days and there it was, the release that I was seeking. It feels so good to be crying tears of joy, knowing that we fought as best as we could, and not that of regret and could-have-been's. OMG I LOVE OUR 2007 HOCKEY GIRLS TEAM! Yes, we're into the Quarters by a goal difference of 2! And we did it TOGETHER.

And finally, I just want to thank God for everything that He's done for our team. Thank you, Lord, for the excellent weather all along, for the seven goals scored in the first game and all the rest of the goals, for keeping us safe, for holding us together, for bringing us thus far, and for giving us this talent for the sport. I'm not usually a religious person, but when I prayed so desperately as that RJ girl went into the D on her own, He answered. I can't tell you enough about the relief and the amazement. Thank you.

YAY! Now we're gonna have more trainings and spend even more time on hockey. For the next couple of weeks, we'll live and breathe hockey and keep playing better. Ahh! I can't wait for tomorrow's training! OMG SEMI'S!!!

Yes, once again I'm officially hockey-mad. (:

No comments:

Post a Comment