Results, results. They are not as bad as I thought they might be, but definitely nowhere near fantastic either. BCDDU, guess what's the disgusting U! Argh.
Yes, it's bloody Math again! Shit, I haven't been able to move past a freaking S for Math the whole of my 2years in ACJC! It was a mistake to tak H2 Math. ): I just don't have that kinda brains that makes you decipher the many numbers and weird symbols and whatnot. ROARS. But it's not like I'm stupid! Okay, enough ranting. I will get over my dislike for Math and shock everyone by getting an A! Of course, no one will have to know I secretly pull my hair and tear my papers and eat my calculator in the middle of the night. Hahaha.
And the rest - B for GP, C for Lit (Rah it's a freaking 59! Eeks.), D for Geog, D for Econs and yeah, U for the
Anyways! I want to rant about my GP essay! Omg I was so indignant after reading the comments I was literally hopping around in class. Usually I pride myself on my linguistic abilities (shut up, they're better than my logical abilities anyways) and I enjoy writing most of the time. I think the last few GP essay has boosted my ego somewhat too, with the satisfying marks to go. The comments that I receive are usually praises, with pointers here and there on how to improve my essay. Well, no matter what, these comments are usually at the least polite.
However, the comments that I received this time round are utterly insulting and bitchy! NOTE: I did not say anything about the marker, only the comments written on the paper, which have inevitably become facts, despite the anonymity of the marker thus far. Let me demonstrate the devastating prowess of these brown words scribbled on my exam script.
I wrote: However, a single glance at the cross-section of the youths today will paint a single image - a sixteen-year-old donning a GAP t-shirt, Nike cap and Levi's jeans. To which, I received this comment: Sweeping statement! Please go to Orchard Road and find some of these for me. You will not find many! So I would like to ask all of you - DON'T HAVE MEH? Do we, the youths of today, not own a pair of Levi's jeans or Nike item? Do we not? I thought I was the youth here.
When I wrote "One look at Paris Hilon in a pair of low-slung jeans and one MAY never choose to be clad in a figure-hiding Malay traditional dress again." To which the response was "Sweeping staement! Inappropriate tone!" Firstly, I believe that I chose the word MAY for a reason, specifically to allow some breathing space in that sentence, precisely the opposite of a sweeping statement. Secondly, it was an attempt of an imagery, or analogy, whatever you call it. It is not literal!
That is not all, my friends. Upon my second mention of globalisation in a 4page essay, the comment was "Yes, please blame everything on globalisation." ROARS! It's not like my entire essay was pivotal around the idea of globalisation! Okay, never mind. Moving on, when I wrote my counter argument saying "It is a proud moment for the Chinese girl to parade her prettiest cehongsam or an Indian young woman in her new sari.", I was questioned with a "How would you know?" The next line of mine goes "Beyond the school level, the Chinese New Year excitement and craze that sweeps across the island is another sign of a lively traditional culture", and the comments go "Really? It's not the money making culture? And you would know because...?"
At this point, I am ready to let out a ear-piercing and blood-curdling blue murder scream of anger and indignance! Either I am an extremely proud bitch, or the definition of constructive criticism has been changed. Not only that, it seems that expressions such as "teenages have no regard for anything with the stain of age" and "the Cosplay group trotting along with the Japanese and Korea animation culture" and "side-lined cultures" were all beyond understanding for they were all underlined with a question mark.
Other comments include "Your dismissive, flippant tone is highly unacceptable! Watch it!", "Sensible point but not sensibly argued.", "Finally we know which country you're discussing." and quite a number of others which require too much of time and effort to type out. Anyways, I think that's quite enough for anyone to reach your hand out and feel the sarcasm, irony and essential bitchiness of the comments dripping into a burning puddle in your palm.
By now, all of you must be wondering how badly have I failed my essay. Well, it was a 32mark essay, over a full mark of 50. With all humility, I would like to know just how do you prove that a girl is proud of wear her cheongsam or not? Perhaps I should describe the amount of endorphins flowing in a certain percentage of these students donning their traditional costumes? Or perhaps I should start drawing a on my exam script the lively scene of Chinese New Year, or start allocating an entire page to a description of my personal experience of Chinese New Year just so that it would be clear as to "And you would know because...?" And as to looking up teenagers in GAP t-shirts, Nike caps and Levi's jeans, I am extremely apologetic and sad to say that it is almost impossible to round up all these people and requesting that they transform to 2D figures and plaster themselves on my script. I am sorry.
ROARS! Seriously, I think such comments are nowhere near constructive criticism for I have hardly learnt anything from it. Instead, it is within every possiblity that I would begin to doubt my style of writing and ability to craft out a piece of good essay because of these comments. I am ready to grab my parents by the arms and march into the Principal's office to demand an explanation for these comments which I feel that I don't deserve, but I shall not. Call it cowardice, call it wise, call it sympathy. Whichever you want, but I am confident to know that my essay is beyond the worth of these brown words scribbled on my script, and I shall ignore every single bit of it.
Nevertheless, I AM ANGRY! Eeeks!
But other than that I've had a good evening which took some of my anger away - reading exam scripts and laughing at stuffs with Fran, dinner with Fran, Nick, Shah and some other ruggers, listening to their boy talk and trying to comprehend the mechanics of the male brain, cracking our brains over clever riddles and completely ignoring the calls of my the papers in my file. :D
Have a good weekend, you all!
No comments:
Post a Comment