Friday, February 01, 2008

manners? courtesy? what’s that!

manners? courtesy? what's that!

Our lovely little sunny island and its people never fail to surprise me every now and then. Here are a few new ones:

The slithering eel-man.
Every morning, I'm thankful that I stay at the very end of Singapore, because it meant that there will probably be seats on the train. One morning, I boarded the train as usual. I walked to a seat, stood in front of it, smoothed down my skirt from behind, and wanted to sit down.

But in that 2seconds I took, a middle-aged man, bulky as a refrigerator, somehow managed to transform into a skinny eel of sorts, much to my amazement. Because he managed to slither through the 2inches between me and the seat to plonk his ass down onto the precious throne! I was really gonna appluade him, but let's just say I was way too awe-struck by this guy, especially after he stared back up at me, then shut his yellow eyes to retreat into Let's All be Rude and Shameless Land.

One word: Wow.

The Subway bulldozers.
This afternoon, Yiting and I decided to go to Subway at Funan for lunch. We were pretty pleased to spot a seat in the crowded eatery, and like any other normal human being, walked towards it. And during this process, two women (with all their middle-aged extra weight and grey hair) came charging with the energy level of a pissed off bull and the accuracy of a missile, pushed past us, and once again my friends, won the priceless seats.

I couldn't peel my eyes off the two of them throughout the whole time I was queuing. But of course, they were too lost in their Fats Can Get Us Anywhere (Fast) Republic.

One question: Are you two for reeaal, Missies?

The laser eyes.
And while browsing at Times after lunch, a tall, balding man stared at me from 5steps away, walked towards me (which was also in the direction of the exit for him), paused right in front me AND LEERED DOWN INTO MY TOP. Blatant as daylight! WTF?!

I am lost for words.

~
I don’t know about anyone else, but I was utterly, completely, totally, APPALLED. And even that doesn’t fully describe my disgust. It was repulsive! And I’m not only talking about the man in the bookshop.

For long moments, I was confused. Are we really in Singapore, the 1st world country with a booming economy and a fully developed education system? Are you sure we are not living with the barbarians of Stone Age? Or the socially-handicapped Martians?

Goodness. Maybe it’s time for us to stop being so obsessive about catching the poor people who try to take cab AWAY from the cab stands in town, and pass a new law on simple mannerism. That would definitely boost our reputation as Fine City, and of course, Land of Civilization, at the very least.

No comments:

Post a Comment